Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content
Am I a carer?

If you provide unpaid help or support for someone who is disabled, physically or mentally ill, frail, or struggling with addiction, you may be a carer. “Caring” can include providing emotional support, physical support, help with household chores/tasks if the person you are caring for is unable to do them, or help with medical care (e.g. managing medication). You may have to look after your siblings more often or pick them up from school. You may have additional responsibilities every day, every week or less frequently.

What support can I get in College?

Further education students
Bursaries are available for all further education students (check with us if you are not sure what type of course you are on) whose household income is less than £25,000. We help with travel costs (if you live more than three miles away), equipment or uniform costs, studio fees, meal vouchers for those who meet government criteria, and funding for travel to university interviews and open days. We usually fund 90% of essential costs, but carers receive an enhanced bursary, which includes 100% of essential costs, travel funding to carers who live within three miles of College and meal vouchers. We also make awards where household income is above £25,000 on a case-by-case basis.

Higher education students
We have bursaries available for our higher education students and there is also a hardship fund for students facing a financial emergency. Come and make an appointment to see the Funding Team if you are struggling financially.

Other support in college
Let your tutors and/or Progress Coach know about your caring responsibilities; this can help if you need to be absent due to your caring responsibilities or need to have your phone on in class.

What support can I get outside college?

York Carers Centre offers support and advice for local carers of all ages, including those who are affected by drug or alcohol addiction. They can also put you in touch with other organisations and forums that can support you, including referrals for support for students who do not live in York.

You can contact York Carers Centre on 01904 715490 and register with them to receive a York Carers Discount Card, which lets you save money at over 50 local businesses. Visit for more information.

Your local council can also provide support such as parking badges, travel passes and any adaptations or equipment (if necessary) for the person you care for. They should also carry out a Carers Assessments of Need to see if you are eligible for further support.

If you care for someone for at least 35 hours per week, and they receive certain benefits, you could be eligible to claim carer’s allowance, which is up to £62.70 per week. This can, however, have knock-on effects to other benefits that you and the person you care for may receive and you cannot claim carer’s allowance if you are a full-time student or if you are already earning above a set amount. For more information, visit or make an appointment with the Funding Team to discuss your options.

The person you care for may be eligible for benefits, depending on their situation. For more information, visit

Useful websites for carers living outside the City of York Council area: