Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content
Further Education: If you are aged 16-18 at the start of your course

The majority of students aged 16-18 are eligible for free courses and will not have to pay for the remainder of the programme should they become 19 at any point during the course. However, certain courses, particularly those with full cost and Higher Education status, are not included, so please check before enrolling.

Eligibility is also based on meeting government-set residency criteria. Residency criteria apply to most of our courses – if you are not a UK national or have not lived in the UK for the past three years, please email for more information.

If you are aged 18 on 31st August and starting a two-year course (including A Levels), you will not normally need to pay for the second year. However, if you enrol to a one year subsidiary diploma or 90 credit diploma when you are 18 and follow on to a top-up extended diploma after your 19th birthday, you may need to pay for the second year.

Students who are under 16 are generally not eligible for free courses. Please speak with our Admissions team on 01904 770397.

If your household income is under £25,000, you may also be eligible for bursary support. Go to our Bursary page for more information, including how to apply to the Bursary Fund.

Further Education: If you are aged 19 or over at the start of your course

If you are aged 19 or over on the 31 August, you may have to pay fees for your course, or you may be eligible for fee remission (no fees to pay). This depends on the course, your age, and your previous qualifications. We also offer information about whether or not you need to pay for your course.

If your household income is under £25,000, you may also be eligible for bursary support. Go to our Bursary page for more information, including how to apply to the Bursary Fund.

If you are studying a Higher Education (degree level) course

You may be eligible for student finance, including Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans, and additional grants. The College also offers a HE Bursary if you have qualified for the maximum level of Maintenance Loan.

Please visit our Course Funding page for more information on Student Finance or our Bursary page for more information on the Higher Education Bursary.

    If you are an apprentice

    Apprentices are not eligible for bursary support or student finance. For further information about apprenticeships, visit the Apprenticeships page.

    Further information

    Contact the Funding Team

    We are here to help students negotiate any financial barrier to education that they may be facing. We can provide advice and guidance on a wide range of subjects including course fees, travel costs and student loans. We also assess students' eligibility for the Further Education and Higher Education bursaries which are available through York College.

    You can contact the Funding Team in the following ways:

    In person by visiting the Your Experience area, behind the Welcome Desk
    By phone on 01904 770443
    By email:
    Please note that we may not be able to answer the phone or return calls during busy periods (including enrolment and the start of term).

    The Osborne Trust

    The Osborne Trust can provide small grants (up to £100) for essential study-related activities or items, to students who are not eligible for support funding from any other Bursary Fund available to the College.

    This fund cannot be used to pay course fees. Please email for more details, including how to apply.

    Council tax exemption

    Full-time students are usually exempt from council tax. If you are not sure whether your course is classed as full or part-time, please contact our Student Data Team at

    If you live in York, you will need to register for council tax exemption online.

    If you live elsewhere, you can request a council tax exemption certificate from our Student Data Team at

    When emailing the InfoZone, please include your full name and student number (date of birth if unknown) to help us process your request.

    Students are encouraged to apply directly through their local county council for council tax exemptions. Please refer the County Council links below to apply:

    If your County Council is not listed above please contact our Student Data Team at

    Additional costs

    Remember that you will need to have enough money to support yourself while you are on the course. If your course is one that requires you to pay for a kit or student contribution, you will have been notified at interview. Costs that need to be paid directly to the College should be paid at enrolment or during the first week of term.

    Tuition fees and charges policy

    You can find our Tuition Fees and Charges Policy here.

    Instructions for cancellation

    Download information on cancelling your place at the college, which explains how to do it without having to pay.