Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

Studying a qualification is a significant investment in your future. We understand the importance of ensuring you are making a sound financial decision and are committed to supporting you during your time with us.

We recognise that studying for any qualification can be a demanding time and there are lots of decisions to be made. We offer dedicated support to help you pay your fees, settle in to College life, concentrate on your studies, and achieve the best grades possible.

On the following page you will find all information regarding funding your degree or higher-level qualification, from tuition fees to other support available.

Degree students in the University Centre 6
Degree, foundation degree and HNC/HND

Our fees are £7,200 per year for a full-time course and £3,100 per year for a Higher National Certificate or Diploma (HNC/D) programme. For specific HNC/D course costs please contact Admissions on 01904 770770 or email

Paying your fees

Tuition fees go towards the cost of your course and allow the College to provide the resources, staff contact and support you need and deserve.

To study a higher education course at York College you will need to fund your tuition fees and your living expenses.

Your tuition fees can be paid in the following ways:

  • In full at the start of the academic year
  • In instalments by TouchTone payment system
  • Employer/sponsor payment
  • By applying for a student loan

Please contact the York College Finance Department for more details of the payment options available to you, email or call 01904 770495.

If you do not have a tuition fee loan or are ineligible for one, you will be required to pay your tuition fees in accordance with the payment terms of the College.

    Applying for a student loan

    Many students choose to take out a student loan to help with meeting the cost of tuition fees and living expenses. The funding you are specifically entitled to will depend on whether you are a full or part-time student; if you have previously studied at a higher education level; which country you have been living in and when you start your course. Additional funding is also available for students who have a disability and those who have children or other dependents.

    If you choose to take out a tuition fee loan, you will not have to pay any upfront fees. Student Finance will pay the tuition fee on your behalf directly to the College.

    Students normally residing in England should apply to Student Finance England.

    Students from outside of England (Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland) should apply for funding directly from the student finance provider of their home country. On the government website you can find more details and for links to the loan provider for your country.

    One you have applied for a student loan, Student Finance will send you a financial notification letter to confirm your funding. You may apply, if you wish, for a partial tuition fee loan and in this case, your financial notification letter will tell you how much you will need to pay to the College.

    Loan repayments are currently based on how much you earn after you leave your course. Please refer to for latest repayment thresholds.

    Part-time study

    Full-time study not possible? Student Finance England are offering tuition & maintenance loans for part-time students, meaning you can study one of our courses part-time and still get a student loan to help with your costs.

    Additional costs

    Some of our courses involve additional costs which are not covered by your tuition fees. You can find this information on the individual course pages. Additional costs are also outlined in the pre-contractual information that you will be sent before enrolling on to your course.

    Can my employer or other organisation pay my tuition fees?

    Yes. If your employer or other organisation agrees to pay all or part of your tuition fees, York College will invoice them for the appropriate amount upon receipt of an email or purchase order number.

    (Please note that parents, family and friends are excluded from this category. If they assist with your fees, you are classified as self-financing and must pay the fees accordingly).

    Failure to pay

    Failure to pay your fees will delay your enrolment and could jeopardise your place on the course. Opting to pay in instalments commits you to paying for the full course even in the event of you being unable to continue your studies. If you are experiencing difficulties paying your fees you must contact the Finance Department straight away and they will make every effort to help you.

    Whatever you do, if you have financial problems, do not bury your head in the sand. Face up to any problems as soon as possible to stop them from growing into financial monsters. If you have money worries, you can contact the Funding Team or access an advice agency such as the Citizens Advice Bureau.

    What happens if I have not yet received confirmation about my loan from Student Finance?

    If you have applied to Student Finance for a loan, but you have not received your confirmation by the time of your enrolment, you just need to bring the latest correspondence you have received. If you have not yet applied, or you need help with the application process, please contact the Funding Team on or call 01904 770443.

    York College University Centre Bursary

    We’re committed to providing a bursary scheme which all eligible higher education students starting their course in September 2023 can apply to. If you are successful, you will receive a payment of £600 if you are studying full-time and £300 if you are studying part-time. This payment is made in 2 instalments.

    The purpose of the Higher Education Bursary is to:

    • Help students overcome financial barriers to access higher education

    • Promote a positive attitude to learning

    Students who receive the bursary may use it to help pay for travel costs or buy essential equipment for their course. If your household income is below £25,000 per year, you should be eligible for bursary funding.

    Further information, including our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), are available on our website:


    Some students are eligible for benefits throughout their studies, though for some benefits, the amount you receive will be affected by at least some of your student income. Please contact Citizen’s Advice if you are not sure of your entitlement.

    If you are in receipt of, or will be applying for, Universal Credit, we recommend that you contact Student Finance England and request a breakdown of your Student Finance award for benefit purposes to send to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and check your payments thoroughly to ensure that they are correct.

    Hardship Fund

    If you find yourself facing financial difficulty during your course, you may be able to apply to the College for additional support. Please contact the Funding Team if you would like more information.

    Council tax

    Full-time students are usually exempt from council tax. If you are not sure whether your course is classed as full or part-time, please contact your tutor. If you live in York, you will need to register for council tax exemption online. If you live elsewhere, you can check online with you council to see if you’re eligible for a discount which will reduce the council tax you pay.

    Student maintenance support - teacher training

    Full-time undergraduate and PGCE students may be entitled to government support in the form of a maintenance loan, the maximum you are eligible for will be dependent on household income.

    Please note: you will not receive your funds before the start of term, so you will need to have sufficient funds available to cover all your expenses during this time and until your maintenance support has cleared in your bank account.

    Useful contacts

    Finance Team
    Our Finance Team deals with all payments and loan queries.
    01904 770495

    Funding Team
    Our Funding Team deal with applications for bursaries.
    01904 770443

    Degree students in the University Centre 5

    Useful contacts

    Finance Team
    Our Finance Team deals with all payments and loan queries.
    01904 770495

    Funding Team
    Our Funding Team deal with applications for bursaries.
    01904 770443